2000 - 2005 NXT plc Chief Executive Officer
NXT plc was fully quoted on the London Stock Exchange. It commercialised a wide portfolio of Intellectual Property in Sound and Touch technology. Under David's leadership it transformed it from R&D focused to a customer focused business; improved P&L by 40% in 2004/5 through sales growth and cost reduction; improved balance sheet through fund raising (£40m) and rationalisation to core business; partnerships with key OEMs: 3M, Brookstone, Citizen, NEC, Philips, TDK; products were launched in all target sectors: Audio, automotive, display, mobile phones and PCs. David also chaired 20/20Speech, a joint-venture in speech processing technology with QinetiQ plc
Pentland Group plc then a FTSE 350 company Market cap. £500m. Managing Director International Brands (Speedo, Ellesse, Berghaus, Lacoste)
Pentland Group is a company marketing branded sports and leisurewear around the world. Turnover £500m. Under David's leadership sales in International Division grew from £296m to £326m in a flat market and profits increased from £30m to £40m.
1988 - 1998 Sony UK Ltd
- 1993-98 Board Member, Sony Europe Consumer Electronics T/O €20bn.
- 1997-98 Country Manager, Sony UK Ltd T/O £2bn, 5000 employees
- 1995-98 Managing Director, UK Electronics T/O £ 600m, 750 employees
- 1993-95 Regional Director, UK and N Europe Consumer Products
- 1988-93 Managing Director, UK Consumer Products
- 1988-98 Director & Trustee, Sony UK Pension Trust Ltd.
Over ten years charged with the general management of consumer products in UK and Eire. His responsibilities expanded to cover sales and marketing of consumer products across Europe. In 1995 his focus returned to the UK with responsibility for both the consumer and professional businesses and all support functions. In 1997 he took responsibility for the total Sony UK electronics business.
- Sales rose from £150m in 1988 to £523m in 1998. Profits met corporate targets.
- Under his leadership Sony became market leader, rising from 8% share to 17%.
- Strength of marketing campaigns recognised by his election to Hall of Fame (ITV Marketing Awards) in 1995.
- Established in car entertainment business, building from £1m to £50m turnover.
- A pioneer in the consumer driven growth of mobile phones, setting up a project with Cellnet leading to the sale of 500k Sony mobile phones.
- Developed Sony branded Service Provider to support successful mobile phone business, later sold for considerable ROI.
Prior to that David worked in sales, marketing and general management positions
- 1984-1988 Pillsbury UK Ltd Board Director - General Manager, Green’s of Brighton
- 1983-1984 Crombie Eustace Ltd Partner - Board Director in food brokerage
- 1976-1983 Mars Inc
- 1981-1983 Effem Chile Limitada, Santiago, Chile - General Manager
- 1980-1981 Kal Kan Foods Inc. Los Angeles, USA. - International Marketing Manager
- 1976-1980 Pedigree Petfoods - Sales and Marketing Roles
- 1971-1975 Procter & Gamble Ltd - Sales Manager
- 2016-17 Master of The Worshipful Company of Marketors
- 2013-16 Warden, Worshipful Company of Marketors
- 2011-13 Court Assistant , Worshipful Company of Marketors
- 2006- Freeman, City of London
- 2004- Liveryman, Worshipful Company of Marketors
- 1999-2004 Member, Marketing Group of Great Britain
- 1997-98 Member, CBI National Council
- 1996-98 Member, ISBA Council
- 1995- Lifetime Fellow, Royal Society of Arts
- 1995 UK Marketing Hall of Fame Award
- 1993-2011 Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Brand Management
- 1991-96 Member, Duchy of Cornwall Marketing Advisory Board
- 1988-93 Member, CBI Market Strategy Group
- 1978- Marketing Society, 1995 Elected Fellow